Monday, May 11, 2009

A non-stick solution for my heart

Sometimes I so wish for a Teflon coating for my heart or maybe just plain old non-stickiness that will ensure that nothing whatsoever EVER sticks to the surface. I am one of those unlucky few who cannot NOT anything to heart. I beat myself up for things that I know are beyond my control or even my imagination.
Last night I was up for a long long time wondering, worrying, obsessing about the people who have had to leave their homes in Swat. People we are calling IDPs are people just like us with their own cozy corners in their homes, their kitchens stocked with their favorite food, their family pictures hanging on the walls, their kids favorite blankie, their toys left behind.
When I think about packing up my house for my soon-to-begin journey, I can’t decide what to leave behind. I know that my house is safe, my memories are safe and that I will soon be back, and yet I want to wrap up everything and take it with me. My hard is aching for the people who did not have the luxury to mull over this choice, who did not have the time to pick n choose, who in order to be safe had to just get up and leave, leaving years worth of memories behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment